The best burgers in NZ
Join us as we share the best burger joints right across New Zealand.
Though the originals of the humble hamburger are up for debate (did they start in the United States or Germany, in the city of Hamburg?), there is no doubt that Kiwis love a good burger!
From classic combinations to fusion flavours, we are spoilt for choice when it comes to good burgers in NZ.
Where can you find the best burgers though?
Fortunately, if there’s one thing we all love in NZTT, it’s food! So we asked our members to share their favourites around the country, and as always, they came through with the best recommendations.
Get ready to tuck into some seriously good kai…
The Best Burgers in New Zealand
Epic Burgers Available Nationwide
- RE Burger: Auckland, Tauranga, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch, Timaru, Mosgiel, Dunedin
The Best Burgers in Northland
- Archie’s Burgers & Fries (for smash burgers and loaded fries), Keri Berries, 484 Kerikeri Road, Kerikeri 0293 (in a food truck)
Amazing Burgers in Auckland
- Swallow Burger (try the Mussel burger), 37 Hector Sanderson Road, Aotea/Great Barrier Island 0991
- Jo Bros Burgers, Shop 4/490 South Titirangi Road, Titirangi, Auckland 0604
- Rosier Burgers, 354 West Coast Road, Glen Eden, Auckland 0602
- Burger Geek, 175 Symonds Street, Eden Terrace, Auckland 1010
- Handmade Burgers Kingsland, 455 New North Road, Kingsland, Auckland 1021
- Too Fat Buns, 4/118 Ocean View Road, Oneroa, Waiheke Island 1081
Handmade Burgers Kingsland Auckland are the best burgers. Literally wont go anywhere else now. The buffalo chicken is my favourite but all of them are so yummy!Abbie Grocott
Rosier Burgers in Glen Eden, West Auckland are very good. Not cheap but worth it.Nicky Husky, NZTT member.
- The Chosen Bun, 3/40 Stonefields Avenue, Stonefields, Auckland 1072
- Saltwater Burger Bar, 156 Church Street, Onehunga, Auckland 1061
- Jax Burger Shack, 2/64 Ormiston Road, East Tāmaki, Auckland 2019
Saltwater Burger Bar in Onehunga, Auckland is our fave. They have a cool garden seating area, fab burgers and offer any in a lettuce ‘bun’ if you prefer to have your burger without the bread!Rachael Foard
Book: Taste Auckland Group Food Tour.
The Best Burgers in the Waikato
- Cafe Melbourne (we love their fried chicken burger, the Kim Jong Chook), 715 Pollen Street, Thames 3500.
- Burger Junction, 5/25 Market Street, Pōkeno 2402
- Last Place Bar, 54 Collingwood Street, Hamilton Central, Hamilton 3204
- Texas Pete’s Barbecue Joint (try the double dirty burger), 1 North City Road, Rototuna North, Waikato 3281
Amazing Burger Bites between Rotorua and Regional Wellington
- The Factory Smokehouse & Grill, 170 Old Taupo Road, Utuhina, Rotorua 3015
- Best Burgers, 9 Middle Road, Havelock North 4130
- The Pongoroa Hotel, 10810 Route 52, Pongaroa 4991
- ZenArez’s, 158 Oxford Street, Levin 5510
Related: 8 Amazing Restaurants in Rotorua.
Great Burger Joints in Wellington
- Gorilla Burger:
- 100 Willis Street, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011
- Wellington Airport, Stewart Duff Drive, Rongotai, Wellington 6022
- 19 Park Road, Miramar, Wellington 6022
- 7 Leeds Street (Next to Fortune Favours Brewery) Te Aro, Wellington
- Ekim Burgers, 257 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011
Ekim Burgers in Wellington. Or come during August and the city goes nuts for burgers and almost every eating spot creates a burger for a local competition.Carrie Lagerstedt
Related: 21 New Zealand Foods You Have to Try! Ka Pai Kiwi Kai.
Our Favourites Spots from the Top of the South Island to the West Coast
- The Smoking Barrel (try the Smokin’ Joe burger), 105 High Street, Motueka 7120
- The Historic Empire Hotel (we recommend the works burger), 19 Aylmer Street, Ross 7812
Epic Burgers in Christchurch & Canterbury
- Boulder Burgers, 8 Chisholm Crescent, Hanmer Springs 7334
- The One Next Door, 4247 Christchurch Akaroa Road, Little River 7591
- Bacon Brothers, Little High Eatery, 255 Saint Asaph Street, Christchurch
- The Burger Joint, 78 Brighton Mall, New Brighton, Christchurch 8061
- Slick Burger, 254 Ferry Road, Phillipstown, Christchurch 8011
- Grater Goods (vegan burgers), 105 Orbell Street, Sydenham, Christchurch 8023
Highly recommend Grater Goods for an all round vegan experience, and definitely the better dinner experience. They are 100% vegan, make their own vegan meats and have a little shop section of all sorts of stuff. Slick is great for a quick lunch option. 😊Sarah Jenkins
Related: The Ultimate Guide to New Zealand Meat Pies.
The Best Burgers in Queenstown & the Southern Lakes
- Buffalos American Food Co. (try the double smash burger), Barry Avenue, Cromwell 9310 (in a food truck)
- Fergburger (perhaps the very best burgers in NZ – this spot is an icon!), 42 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300
- Devil Burger, 5/11 Church Street, CBD, Queenstown 9300
Buffalo’s American Food Co. Hands down!!!! As a fellow north American, I’d like to think I know my burgers. Their smash burgers and Buffalo chicken burger are to die for!!!!Kerrin Llewellyn
The Best Burgers in the Deep South
- Moeraki Boulders Cafe, 7 Moeraki Boulders Road, Hampden 9482
- Comes First Diner, 132 Stuart Street, Central Dunedin, Dunedin 9016
I’ve had all of the burgers and Dunedin’s Comes First Diner Chicken burger is the tastiest burger EVER!! 🤤😋Collette Rogers
With so many great choices, it’s possible to head off on a brilliant-burger tour of New Zealand – that sounds like our kind of trip!