Your guide to the most unique burgers in Auckland. Enjoy these unique and creative takes on the classic hamburger.
Is there anything better than a juicy burger when you’re craving a tasty meal?
Though there are plenty of amazing classic burger options in the City of Sails, today we’re pleased to share five of the most unique offerings!
From Asian-fusion burgers with incredible flavours, to oddly-satisfying, surprising combinations, each of these burger joints are a must-try for Aucklanders.
These are the best burgers in Auckland – each and every spot serving them up with a uniquely tasty twist.
The Most Unique Burgers in Auckland
1. Tiger Burger
Inspired by Korean street food, Tiger Burger is a melting pot of flavours.
A touch of their very own kimchi, gochu mayo, and rice vinegar pickle gives a fantastic zest to their burgers. These burgers need to be tasted to be believed!
As a restaurant that supports ethical food practices, they pay great attention to their preparation and avoid synthetic additives. They also source their products from sustainable and ethical producers – ensuring everything from meat to packaging materials are as eco-friendly as possible.
They also take event bookings and can cater orders in your own home.
- Gang-Jeong – Double fried free-range chicken thigh, chilli-soy glaze, pickled mu, shredded lettuce and gochu mayo.
- Cheeky Hoisin – Slow braised free-range pork, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar pickles, bibimbap slaw and honey garlic mayo.
- Dubu – GMO-free tofu, yang nyum glaze, crushed peanuts, pickled mu, shredded lettuce and gochu mayo (vegetarian).
590 Dominion Road, Mount Eden, Auckland 1041
Did you know? Tiger Burger started back in 2014 as a small food stall – now they have two different (and equally amazing) restaurant locations.
2. Parade Ponsonby
Parade Ponsonby serve up juicy smashed patties, served on freshly baked pretzel buns.
Combining the pure perfection of a smashed meat pattie with a soft and fluffy pretzel bun is everything you could imagine.
What exactly is a pretzel bun? They use the same dough used to make soft pretzels. This house-made dough is boiled in a baking soda water bath before it is baked in the oven. The result is a flavourful pretzel bun, ready for toppings.
Be it beef or chicken – Parade offers a variety of classic flavours (with a pretzel twist) and yummy sides you won’t want to miss. it’s really a must-try restaurant in the City of Sails.
- Double Smash Burger – Double smash patties, double cheese, secret sauce, pickles, served on a freshly-made pretzel bun.
- Fried Chicken – Free range buttermilk fried chicken thigh, lettuce, mayo, and pickles.
252 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011
3. Sneaky Snacky
Ever thought of pushing your burger craving up a gear? That’s what happens when you chow down at Sneaky Snacky.
Imagine a Nashville hot chicken or a beef patty (served with a kimchi fritter and spicy milk sauce) on a glazed doughnut bun…
That’s exactly what you’ll find at this K’ Road eatery.
As an added bonus, there’s an array of add-on choices plus, you can also choose the spiciness to your liking. It’s a spicy, tangy, sweet combination that can’t get any crazier.
Their burgers sure are delicious though!
- Original Glazed Wagyu – Wagyu beef patty, kimchi fritter, spicy milk sauce, American Cheese, served on a glazed doughnut.
- Hot Chicken – Nashville hot chicken thigh, dill mayo, cucumber, American cheese, served on a glazed doughnut.
184 Karangahape Road, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010
4. Gourmet Burger and Brew Kitchen
From classic to exotic, Gourmet Burger and Brew Kitchen offers twenty-six different gourmet burgers on their menu.
Their premium Angus beef from the lush pastures of New Zealand and their 100% New Zealand free-range chicken are chargrilled to perfection and seasoned before ending up in your burger bus.
Their patties are an impressive 200g each, so they’re just as filling as they are tasty.
Feeling a bit adventurous? There are plenty of exciting options for you to try. You’ll find venison, ostrich, and wild boar on their menu. Or, if you’re looking for a taste of Australia in Auckland, why not have a go at their kangaroo burger?
Don’t think they’re all about the meat, though. Gourmet Burger and Brew Kitchen also have a range of vegetarian options available – these are popular among our vegetarian and vegan friends, ensuring nobody misses out.
- Wild Pork Burger – Ground wild pork pattie, melted cheese, plum chutney, tomato, mixed mesclun, red onion, homemade tomato relish and mayo, served on a fresh bun.
- Snapper Burger – Beer battered snapper fillet, tartar sauce, tomato, mixed mesclun, red onion, homemade tomato relish and mayo on a fresh bun.
139 Quay Street, Viaduct, Auckland 1010
We love when a classic burger is taken to the next level and the five locations listed above have done exactly that.
Whether Asian-fusion is your jam, or you’re keen to try a unique burger bun, be sure to try some of these tasty options!