Kiwi cuisine experiences don’t get much more authentic than freshly prepared fish and chips, served right out of the paper. Whether you eat them in front of the telly on a Friday night, or at the beach smothered in Watties tomato sauce, this kai is firmly embedded in our way of life.
Throughout the country, you’ll find a range of options – from cheap and cheerful or gourmet delights.
Where though can you find the best fish and chips New Zealand has on offer?
We asked the wonderful members of our Facebook group and came up with this extensive list. Each and every option has been tried, tested and given its stamp of approval, so you can be assured of a delicious meal when you pay them a visit.
Always get fresh snapper, gurnard, tarakihi or blue cod if on the menu – even if they cost more (which they will).Claire Dorothy, NZTT member.
Where to Find the Best Fish and Chips New Zealand has on Offer
Amazing Fish and Chip Shops in Northland
- Mangonui Fish Shop (one of the most iconic on this list), 137 Waterfront Road, Mangōnui 0420
- Fresh & Tasty Takeaways (a local gem), 112 Waterfront Road, Mangōnui 0420
- Paihia Fish and Chips, 1/39 Williams Road, Paihia 0200
- The Opua Cruising Club, Baffin Street, Opua 0200
- Adriatic fisheries (daily fresh snapper deliveries), 91 Kamo Road, Kensington, Whangārei 0112
The Galley at the Opua Cruising Club do amazing food and the fish and chips never disappoints plus it’s a huge serving.Kerry Payne, NZTT member.
The Best Chippies in Regional Auckland
- Fish Nets, 67 Auckland Road, Warkworth 0910
- Shakespeare Rd Fish & Chips, 199 Shakespeare Road, Milford, Westlake 0620
- Westgate Takeaway, 579 Don Buck Road, Massey, Massey North 0614
- Catch a Fish Takeaway, 6/64 Gladstone Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
- Marsic Bros, 47 Mayfair Place, Glen Innes, Auckland 1072
- Otahuhu Fisheries, 292 Great South Road, Ōtāhuhu, Auckland 1062
- Captain Kai Moana, 530 Great South Road, Rosehill, Auckland 2113
Fish Nets in Warkworth (by the BP) is simply the best in everything fish and chips. Presentation, taste and lack of greasiness… Yum!Clare Scott, NZTT member.
Must-Tries in the Coromandel
- Coromandel Top Town Takeaways, 183 Kapanga Road, Coromandel 3506
- Coromandel Oyster Company, 1611 Manaia Road, Coromandel 3581
- Estuary Mini Market & Burger Bar, 103 Marie Crescent, Whangamatā 3620
The Coromandel Oyster Company, just before you get to Coromandel – they have the best fish and chips. My favorite is their gurnard and chips. I also love their oysters – I prefer mine raw but hubby loves deep fried. The seafood chowder is great too.Cat Tee, NZTT member.
Unmissable Options in the Waikato
- Kaiaua Fisheries (near the Miranda Hot Pools), 941 East Coast Road, Kaiaua 2473
- T&S Takeaways, 34 Lake Street, Cambridge 3434
- Ohaupo Takeaways, 103 Great South Road, Ōhaupō 3803
- Simply The Best Takeaways (fresh, with gluten-free options), Shop 3/235 Sloane Street, Te Awamutu 3800
- Raglan Fish (a very popular chippie), 92 Wallis Street, Raglan 3225
Bay of Plenty: Where to Get Your Fish and Chips
- Bobby’s Fresh Fish Market (highly rated), 1 Dive Crescent, Tauranga 3110
- Ocean Seafoods (known for battered mussels), 88 Church Street, Ōpōtiki 3122
- Fisherman’s Wharf Cafe, 340 Harbour Road, Ōhope 3121
- Ohiwa Oyster Farm (fish and chips, seafood and burgers also available), 11 Wainui Road, Ohakana Island 3121
Our Favourite Rotorua Chippies
- Bellevue Takeaways (particularly affordable meals), 88 Pererika Street, Victoria, Rotorua 3010
- Rivers Catch, 14D Pandora Avenue, Sunnybrook, Rotorua 3015
- Devon Sea Foods, 43 Devon Street, Glenholme, Rotorua 3010
Award-Winning Options in Napier
- Pirimai Chippy (award winning), 15 Allen Berry Avenue, Pirimai, Napier 4112
- Frying Dutchman, Nelson Quay, Ahuriri, Napier 4110
Pirimai Chippy, best in the country. Call ahead from 4pm if you want it at 6pm! They are award winning and the wait is worth it!Rose Olliver, NZTT member.
Where to Find Fresh Fish in the Lower North Island (including Wellington)
- SeaDogs Galley, Mowhanau Drive, Kai Iwi, Whanganui 4574
- Mr Grumpys, 106 Seabury Avenue, Foxton 4815
- Castlepoint Store, 44 Jetty Road, Castlepoint 5889
- Mac’s Fish n Chips, 23 Queen Street, Masterton 5810
- Plimmerton Fish Supply, 2 Beach Road, Plimmerton, Porirua, Wellington 5026
- The Chippery, 5 Majoribanks Street Wellington, Wellington, 6011, and 10 Murphy Street Wellington, Wellington, 6011
The Plimmerton fish n chip shop is a legend; queues outside the door during summer! A little bit more expensive but definitely worth it – the Chippery in Wellington; there’s one in Marjorie Banks street in Mount Vic and another in Thorndon. Choice of different fish, coatings (including gluten free), different styles of hot chips and lots of extras, including mushy peas for the Brits!Bev Chochrane, NZTT member.
Great Kai in the Upper South Island
- Renwick Takeaways, 70 High Street, Renwick, Marlborough, 7204
- Nins Bin (famous fresh crayfish), 20km north of Kaikoura, State Highway 1, Kaikoura, 7371
Fish and Chips on the West Coast
- Smiley’s Pizza & Takeaways, 232 Palmerston Street, Westport 7825
- Dulcie’s Takeaways, 6 Gibson Quay, Hokitika 7810
- Kitchen Hokitika, 19 Tancred Street, Hokitika 7810
- Betsey Jane Eatery & Bar, 27 Cook Flat Road, Fox Glacier 7886
- The Cray Pot, Haast-Jackson Bay Road, Jackson Bay 7886
Craypot Jackson Bay. Hands down best seafood on the Coast and well worth the trip. It’s the only place I pay for Blue Cod, and the chowder and prawns are a close second and third.Robyn Hoglund, NZTT member.
Canterbury Chippies to Try
- Akaroa Fish & Chips, 59 Beach Road, Akaroa 7520
- Little Fish Co at the Riverside Market, 96 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8011
- Tinwald Takeaways, 119 Archibald Street, Tinwald, Ashburton 7700
Awesome Fish and Chips in the Southern Lakes Region (including Wānaka and Queenstown)
- Lake Bar, 155 Ardmore Street, Wānaka 9305
- Erik’s Fish and Chips. 13 Earl Street, Queenstown 9300
- Chur Fish and Chips – Like a UK fish and chippie. 155b Fernhill Road, Fernhill, Queenstown 9300
Erik’s Fish and Chips in the centre of Queenstown is awesome – crisp tempura like batter and sustainably caught fish.Anna Arndt, NZTT member.
The Best Fish and Chips in Central and South Otago
- Hampden Takeaways, 30 London Street, Hampden 9410
- The FishWife (delicious blue cod and crayfish), 145 Haven Street, Moeraki 9482
- Moeraki Tavern, 144 Haven Street, Moeraki 9482
- Trundles on Teviot, 100 Scotland Street, Roxburgh 9500
- Concord Inn (order blue cod or sole), Concord Shopping Centre 12 Main South Road, Burnside, Dunedin 9018
- Best Cafe (known for oysters, and fish and chips), 30 Stuart Street, Central Dunedin, Dunedin 9016
- Brunel Peaks Cafe (fresh fish served Friday nights), Blackmount 9682