If there’s one thing you need to try whilst visiting New Zealand, it’s a meat pie.
With a range of delectable fillings and golden, flakey pastry, this on-the-go meal is a staple in Aotearoa. No trip here would be complete without trying at least one.
What do you do though, when one pie quickly becomes an addiction?
Explore this fantastic list, put together by the members in NZTT and eat your way around our amazing country.
A Travellers’ Guide to New Zealand Meat Pies
What is a Meat Pie?
Popular in both Australia and New Zealand, meat pies are central to our local cuisine (much like fish and chips are). Though there’s very little doubt that us Kiwis win on the best-pie stakes… according to this Kiwi, anyway.
Take perfectly golden, flakey pastry and fill it with a delicious combination of meat, gravy, vegetables and/or cheese. Then pop it in a bag and take it away to enjoy by the beach or in the park.
If there’s a savoury dish you can find in Aotearoa, chances are you’ll find it inside a pie!
Did you know? New Zealanders love pies so much that we had a chain restaurant (like Burger King or KFC) selling pies before we had the American chains! Georgie Pie started in NZ in 1977 and had 32 restaurants around the country at its peak in the 90s. In 1996 our beloved Georgie Pie was sold to Mcdonald’s and soon after they were closed.
At risk of some controversy, I claim the Sheffield Pie Shop on SH73 (West Coast Rd) as having the best pies in NZ. Their roast pork and apple sauce; venison and whiskey relish. Both to die for! And their steak and onion marmalade….Alan MacKay, NZTT member and tour guide
Popular Meat Pie Flavours in New Zealand
The humble meat pie once had a fairly predictable flavour profile, with the likes of mince and cheese, potato top, and chicken being staples in a pie warmer. Now though, it’s just as easy to lay your hands on a gourmet creation as it is a familiar favourite.
Whilst in New Zealand you’ll have the chance to try some of the following meat pie flavours:
- mince and cheese
- steak and cheese
- steak and mushroom
- steak, bacon and kūmera (sweet potato)
- chicken and vegetable
- chicken, cranberry and brie
- chicken, apricot and cream cheese
- butter chicken
- curried chicken
- Thai chicken curry
- pork belly
- potato top
- bacon and egg
- lamb, mint and kūmera
Did you know? According to studies, the average Kiwi eats 15 meat pies in a year, whilst Australians eat more than 12. We told you Kiwis love their pies!
We’ve been touring New Zealand for the past 2 years and Fat Bastard took our top spot for pies.Reve Lamont, NZTT member
Where to Find the Best New Zealand Meat Pies
Amazing Pies in Auckland
- Savan’s Bakery, 56/44-56 Queen Street, Warkworth 0910
- Euro Patisserie, 1028 Beach Road, Torbay, Auckland 0630
- Pioneer Pies, 247 Dairy Flat Highway, Albany, Auckland 0632
- Mairangi Bay Bakery, 366 Beach Road, Mairangi Bay, Auckland 0630
- The Mill Bakehouse (a favourite stop, as recommended by Bush and Beach), 402 Titirangi Road, Titirangi, Auckland 0604
- Richoux Patisserie (award-winning meat, vegetarian and vegan pies), 119 Main Highway, Ellerslie, Auckland 1051
Great Pies in the Central North Island
- Maketu Pies, 6 Little Waihi Road, Maketu 3189
- Sweet Painted Lady Cafe, 52 Seddon Street, Waharoa 3401 (near Matamata)
- Patrick’s Pies, 19 Bethlehem Road, Bethlehem, Tauranga 3110 and 89 Old Taupo Road, Mangakakahi, Rotorua 3015
- Coach Cafe, 37 Seddon Street, Raetihi 4632 (also sold in Ohakune)
Amazing Pies in Wellington
- Jo’s Pies, 28 Cleveland Street, Brooklyn, Wellington 6021
- Nada Bakery, 64, Johnsonville Road, Johnsonville 6037 and 4/72, Main Road, Tawa, Wellington 5028
Pies to Try at the Top of the South Island
- The Sneaky Beach Bakery & Cafe (the best place in NZ to try a mussel pie), 61 Main Road, Havelock 7100
- The Bakery at Wakefield (check out the recommendations below, plus the vegetarian pie), 12 Clifford Road, Wakefield 7025
- The Burleigh (for a delicious pork belly pie), 34 New Renwick Road, Burleigh, Blenheim 7201
Wakefield pies are famous in the region. Bacon & egg is my favourite, whereas my partner loves the steak. You pass Wakefield travelling to and from Lake Rotoiti/St Arnaud, Lewis Pass, Murchison, the West Coast and Tapawera.Karen Brown, NZTT member
West Coast Pies
- The West Coast Pie Company (known for gourmet game pies), 258 Palmerston Street, Westport 7825
- The Broadway Tearooms & Bakery (great pies and sweet treats), 31 Broadway, Reefton 7830
- Nana Ni’s Pies & Cafe, 59A Broadway, Reefton 7830
Delicious Pies in the Southern Lakes Region
- Mrs Woolley’s General Store (these are the Fairlie Bakehouse pies and they’re amazing), 64 Oban Street, Glenorchy 9372
- Sanga’s Pies, 4 Chardonnay Street, Cromwell 9310
- The Doughbin Bakery, 123 Ardmore Street, Wānaka 9012
- Fergbaker (try the lamb shank, pork belly and apple, or steak and cheese), 40 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300
- Eat Humble Pie (tuck into the steak, cheese and onion, the pepper pie, or a steak and blue cheese), Centrepoint Mall, Tarbert Street, Alexandra
Must-Try Pies in Christchurch and Canterbury
- Taste of Kiwi, 5666 West Coast Road, Springfield 7681
- Sheffield Pies (a top contender on this list), 51 Great Alpine Highway, Sheffield 7681
- Darfield Bakery (we love their chicken, cranberry and brie pies), 60 South Terrace, Darfield 7510
- Una Bakery, 73 Centaurus Road, Huntsbury, Christchurch 8022
- The Butchers Pie Shop (try the steak and onion), Riverside Market, 86 Cashel Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8011
- Copenhagen Bakery (known for great chicken pies), 409 Harewood Road, Bishopdale, Christchurch 8051
- Bree Glamour Cakes, 8 Norwich Quay, Lyttelton 8082
- Mrs Denton’s (try their blue cod, parsley and leek pie or their paua pie), 168 Kendal Avenue, Burnside, Christchurch 8053
- Akaroa Butchery And Deli, 67 Rue Lavaud, Akaroa 7520
- Sims Bakery, 123 Main South Road, Archibald Street, Tinwald, Ashburton 7700
- Fairlie Bakehouse (one of the best – try the pork belly pie or their salmon, bacon and cheese), 74 Main Street, Fairlie 7925
Related: The best cafes in Christchurch.
The Famous Sheffield Pie Shop mince and cheese pie is life-changing. 100/10 recommend!Gemma An, NZTT member
The Best Pies in the Lower South Island
- Temptations Bakery, 72 Thames Street, Oamaru 9400
- Miles Better Pies, 1 Lakefront Drive, Te Anau 9679
- Bracken Hall (try their slow-cooked venison and Speights pies), 33 Devon Street, Mossburn 9792
- Jimmy’s Pies, 143 Scotland Street, Roxburgh 9500
- Fat Bastards Pies (generously filled and delicious – try the seafood or lamb – or really anything at all!), 158 Tay Street, Invercargill 9810
Invercargill Fat Bastard pies – their seafood, and bacon and egg pies are divine.Raewyn Wahnig, NZTT member
With amazing meat pies to be found right around the country, you’ll want to include a number of pit stops as you travel. And where better to do so than the tried-and-tested recommendations above?
If you’re looking for further recommendations, you may also like to check out the most recent winners from the nationwide Bakels New Zealand Supreme Pie Awards.